It’s bout time again, and you’re in for a real treat! The evening’s festivities will begin with our junior league, Candy Stripers Junior Derby, debuting their skills on the home court with a 30-minute mini bout! These young athletes are the future of roller derby, and will knock you over with their determination – super stars in the making! For the main event, our Sick Town S*M*A*S*H Unit will take on the Church of Sk8in’, one of 3 home teams with ECRG.
Advance general admission tickets are available for $10 at The Uprise Skate Shop and Aqua Seafood & Steaks in Corvallis, or Abby’s Pizza in Albany, or at Brown Paper Tickets! General admission tickets at the door are $13, or $10 with a military ID. VIP tickets are available for $12 in advance or $15 at the door, and guarantee you a front row bleacher seat. Kids 5 and under are FREE!
Enjoy beverages from our sponsors, Ninkasi Brewing and 2 Towns Ciderhouse, and treat yourself to delicious goodies from Wildflour Confectionery; we’ll also have traditional concession fare! Our kids’ table will be open during the entire event, along with our DIY sign table and the merch booth.
This past Saturday, the Sick Town S*M*A*S*H Unit took on the Flat Track Furies, a hometeam from the Emerald City Roller Girls. It’s been about 2 years since the two teams met on Sick Town’s own turf, and last time, the Furies took home the win.
This time, though, the S*M*A*S*H Unit brought some serious pain, and ended the bout victorious with a 43-point lead! Despite missing two top jammers and two top blockers, the Sick Town skaters exhibited top-notch strategy, tight walls, and damaging hits. This bout was a fantastic opportunity for some of our newer skaters to hone their skills.
You can read more about the double-header, and see more great photos, here - Daily Emerald Covers Sick Town Bout! And don’t miss our bouts later this season against ECRG’s other home teams, the Church of Sk8in’ (April 13) and the Andromedolls (June 15)!
And if you’re into stats, or just can’t get enough information about your Sick Town’s S*M*A*S*H Unit, check out Flat Track Stats! This is an amazing resource for getting to know the intimate details of our team’s bout history. The stats go back to the very beginning of our competitive career, and give a great overview of how far we’ve come!
As Sick Town gets back into the swing of regular practices to prepare for our first bout of the new 2013 Season, we take a moment to recap last season’s exciting bout action.
- January 29: Oly Dropkick Donnas vs. S*M*A*S*H Unit, 198 – 48: Coming back from our winter break is never easy; the Dropkick Donnas took full advantage and did some serious damage to our SMASH Unit. We left with a few injuries, but also with some great experience, memories, and stories. We knew we would have to really step up our game for our next bout against them coming up in December! See how that turned out below.
- February 10-12: The Big O Tournament (Eugene, OR)
- March 10: Sick Pistols vs. Country Club Crushers, 135 – 113: For our first home bout of the season, we pitted Sick Town against Sick Town, dividing our bout pool of skaters into two teams. A close game to the end, this bout was a great opportunity for non-chartered skaters to play.
- April 28: LCRD Smokin’ Ashes vs. S*M*A*S*H Unit, 225 – 59: As always, Lava City brought their A-game, and gave us a good time both on and off the track. We love LCRD because they always have new things to teach us, and always make us work!
- May 19: Rainy City All-Stars vs. S*M*A*S*H Unit, 112 – 118: Our first win of the season, this bout was a close one from start to finish. We last saw Rainy City at Knocktoberfest in 2011, and we’ve both come a long way since then.
- June 09: LCRD Smokin’ Ashes vs. S*M*A*S*H Unit, 129 – 97: Our second bout this season against the Lava City ladies wasn’t technically a win, but our S*M*A*S*H Unit certainly felt vindicated! We knocked off 160 points from the point differential between these two games. In just a few short weeks, we totally overhauled our game.
- September 29: Skatemberfest IV: Southern Oregon Rollergirls vs. S*M*A*S*H UNIT, 64 – 248: After a few months of summer break, our S*M*A*S*H Unit wanted to start the second half of the season with a strong showing of skills and strategy. Success!
- October 27: Lilac City Roller Girls vs. S*M*A*S*H Unit, 163 – 165: This bout was a nail-biter until the end! In a very close match-up, the teams fought back and forth for the lead from start to finish. The win was anyone’s guess, until our S*M*A*S*H Unit pulled out the win!
- December 08: Oly Mash-Up Team vs. S*M*A*S*H Unit, 174 – 175: We couldn’t have asked for a more exciting season finale than this bout! Meeting up with some of our stiffest competition from the beginning of the season, we had our work cut out for us. The S*M*A*S*H Unit was trailing behind a decent chunk of points in the second half, but some amazing jams in the final minutes of the game left the audience with 10 breathless minutes before the final score was announced; there wasn’t a single butt in the seats as the crowd cheered our glorious victory!
Join us for the last bout of the 2012 Season – Sk8 Crazy Nights! Before we all get too frantic with the holiday season, enjoy one last family-friendly evening of fast-paced action. The Sick Town S*M*A*S*H Unit will take on Oly Rollers‘ Dropkick Donnas in a rematch almost a year in the making.
The event will be packed with the usual fanfare you’ve come to expect out of Sick Town – great grub, Ninkasi Brewing, 2 Towns Cider, a kids’ craft table and half-time games, a 50/50 raffle, and fantastic Sick Town gear for all ages. We’ll also be featuring delicious, adorable cookies by Wildflour Confectionary.
Pre-sale tickets are $10 General Admission, available in Albany at Abby’s Pizza, and at Aqua and The Uprise Skate Shop in Corvallis; you can also get advance tickets from Brown Paper Tickets, or your favorite derby dame!
VIP Seating is also available for $13 pre-sale at Brown Paper Tickets, and $15 at the door; this is a guaranteed front row seat! Pre-sale general admission tickets can be upgraded at the door.